Radiation Consulting for Metals Industries
Radiation Safety and Procedures for the Metals Workers
Improper disposal of radioactive materials has created an increased risk for workers in metals industries. Undetected sealed sources, military equipment, medical instrumentation, commercial nuclear and consumer products can become integrated in piles of scrap metal and, if undetected, turn up in metals facilities, causing contamination of equipment, costly downtime, and unnecessary radiation exposure.
Engelhardt & Associates, Inc. works with safety organizations such as the Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries (ISRI) and has developed radiation consulting plans implemented by both the scrap metal recycling and metal melting industries to improve:
- Detection of radioactive materials with portal monitors and handheld devices
- Training on radioactive posting/labeling for visual identification of foreign radioactive materials
- Development of melt plans to manage inadvertent introduction of a radioactive source into a furnace
- Procedures to minimize radiation exposure and contamination spread
- Safe handling/disposal procedures for detected radioactive materials
Our radiation consultants evaluate the needs of your facility and provide radiation safety training programs, license assistance and compliance audits to satisfy requirements from the NRC, Agreement States and other regulatory agencies.